Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#5: Choose reliable hardware
1. Research and compare MTBFs (mean time between failures)
- Make sure configurations are identical
2. Select easy-to-replace components
- Service time for deeply embedded component increases
- Hot pluggable disks
3. Spare parts
- What does vendor keep on hand?
- How long until it is delivered to your site?
- What spares can you afford to keep on site?
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2003 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
Dig Deeper on Data storage strategy
In case you've missed anything, here's a roundup of some of the best original technical content that appeared on SearchStorage.com the week of May 10-14. Tips and Ask the Experts Q&A's cover LAN-free, serverless and domino backups.