Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#11: Test everything
1. Test new applications in production-like environments
- Same network configuration and loads
- Same user inputs and application sets
2. Perform dry runs in advance of roll-outs
3. Repeat tests on a regular basis
- Environments change
4. Try to include real users in testing
5. Nice goal, but this (almost) never happens
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
Dig Deeper on Storage management tools
In case you've missed anything, here's a roundup of some of the best original technical content that appeared on SearchStorage.com the week of May 10-14. Tips and Ask the Experts Q&A's cover LAN-free, serverless and domino backups.