By Michele Hope
We're continuing our look this week at the wide range of online courseware available for IT and storage professionals to get a leg up on the competition. A site we recently stumbled across that warranted our special attention is called FreeSkills. Remember your mother saying, "There's no such thing as a free lunch?" Well, she must never have come across FreeSkills. We found this to be an excellent resource site with free online courseware for all types of management and technical topics.
Knowing how busy our readers are, we took the time to sift through several hundred course offerings and found those courses that might be particularly appealing to our storage professionals. Beyond the volume of typical Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office-related courses available at this site, you'll find several falling into two distinct areas of interest for the storage industry:
- Operating systems, networking, and database courses.
- Management and sales background courses.
Some of the OS, networking, and database courses that caught our eye included:
- Large River Oracle (a collection of technical tutorials on Oracle subjects)
- LINUX Fundamentals
- Novell Netware 4.1 or 5.0 Systems Administration
- Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 or 7.0 Administration
- Microsoft Windows NT 4 Networking Technologies
- TCP/IP Networking
- UNIX Networking Administration Introduction
We were also impressed by the large array of management and sales-related courses available. The following topics looked particularly interesting for storage management, sales or marketing professionals:
- Customer Care for IT Telephone Support Staff
- Essential Management Skills
- Evaluating Business Opportunities and Forming Joint Ventures
- Investment Appraisal
- Leadership Skills
- Market Research Basics
- Management of Change
- Personal Influencing Techniques
- Problem Solving and Decision-Making Techniques
- Team Building Techniques
- Time Management Skills
- Understanding and Managing Stress
- You'll spend some time clicking through the various categories, but the top-level FreeSkills list is probably the best place to view the range of courses available. Check it out at http://www.freeskills.com/listcourses?cobrand=searchstorage
- For management or sales-related topics, check out the "Soft Skills" category at http://www.freeskills.com/listcourses?cobrand=searchstorage&category=13
- To view other recent career tips on SearchStorage, see https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tips
About the author: Michele Hope is the site editor for SearchStorage. She can be reached at Michele Hope.