Storage provisioning is a complicated, and mostly manual, labor-intensive task. Each vendor has its proprietary tools and recommended approach. And, the task keeps getting harder due to the increasing complexity of enterprise storage environments.
Below is a list of eight storage provisioning best practices that will help you to boost performance and disk utilization.
- Establish an orderly storage requisition procedure
- Collect all pertinent information at the outset
- Enforce change management policies throughout the process
- Organize and manage provisioning as a coordinated team effort
- Manage communications among the team
- Identify the provisioning constraints of your devices
- Concatenate LUNs for flexibility
- Use soft zoning worldwide name based
This storage provisioning tip first appeared in Storage magazine's October 2006 issue.
Alan Radding is a frequent contributer to "Storage" magazine.