Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

What's extending the network fabric?


When someone says "extend the network fabric" are they referring to a protocol or something else?

Hmm "extend the network fabric." Without context it's a little hard to guess. In general this refers to connecting switches together over FC/E-ports. (I'm assuming FC is the network here?). Now, it is possible to do this with network devices that are not switches, for instance a SAN/WAN device could be used that connects to a local switch over an E-port, but then communicates over a metropolitan or wide area link using a TCP/IP network. The remote site could be the same configuration where the SAN/WAN device connects to the MAN or WAN with TCP/IP and connects to the SAN using an E-port connection to the switch.


Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in our Storage Networking discussion forum.

This was last published in February 2002

Dig Deeper on SAN technology and arrays

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.