I was wondering whether you or someone on your staff has a formal list of what are the most common tasks that a...
storage administrator completes to get his or her job done and which are the most time consuming? Also, I am trying to determine if there is any third-party market research available, which focuses on the IT needs of storage administrators.
Thanks in advance for your help?
Common tasks for a storage administrator.
1. Storage = disk, tape, SAN, and storage software
2. Percentage after each task is approximatley timed
1. Manage current storage environment (20%)
- Resolve any storage shortages
- Alert and resolve any performance issues and notify end-users
- Insure that data is available to all applications
2. Application support (20%)
- Work with application developers to determine storage requirements
- Work with existing programmers, DBAs to optimize storage
3. Backup (15%)
- Maintain proper backup schedule
- Restore and recover data as requested
- Facilitate off-site storage of tape
4. Monitor current storage environment (15%)
- Reporting on status
5. Capacity planning (10%)
- Forecast storage growth
- Determine allocation of different storage types
6. Evaluations (10%)
- Provide input from vendor proposals
- Due diligence on new software
- Drive vendor testing
7. New installs (10%)
- Responsible for planning and execution of the storage installation
- Perform any host-level tasks need to access new storage
For third-party input, check with Gartner, IDC, Enterprise Storage Group or the Evaluator Group.
Hope this helps.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in our .HcX6azlxeJg^0@.ee83ce2!viewtype=&skip=&expand=>Administrator Central discussion forum.
Dig Deeper on Data storage strategy
Related Q&A from Brendan Reilly
Storage hardware expert Brendan Reilly offers advice on creating a centralized, mirrored backup enviornment. Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.