In case you haven't heard, mainframe storage is alive and doing very well. Check out this Crash Course and find out if Linux on the mainframe is for you, how to get mainframe storage on the cheap and who the key products and vendors are in the mainframe market today.
Mainframes and cost
- Mainframe storage on the cheap
- ISeries and mainframe users get cheap disk
- Mainframe users get cheaper storage
Managing the mainframe
- Use mainframes for backups
- Let the mainframe guide your storage management software purchase
- Why the mainframe stands the test of time
- Are people backing up data to mainframe?
- Monolithic vs. midrange
- Linux on the mainframe – is it right for you?
- Connecting multimode fiber cable to single mode
- Pros, cons of host-based technology for data migration
- Finding a common language between mainframes and SAN
- Open source storage apps get a boost
- Enterprise Linux apps gap disappearing
- The great divide: Mainframe and open-systems storage
Products and players
- IBM prepping open systems virtual tape?
- EMC upgrades Centera CAS system
- StorageTek eyes mainframe users
- IBM, HDS renew vows
- Softek to resell EMC mainframe software
- StorageTek picks mainframe connectivity supplier
- Diligent hits 100 customer mark
Click here for our must-have Storage Survival Guide.
This was first published in June 2005