Getting the most out of the enterprise data storage resources you already have isn't just smart, it might be the...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
only way to keep your data storage shop alive and well. Storage technologies like archiving, compression and deduplication, thin provisioning, and wide striping can help you run your infrastructure more efficiently by making better use of your already installed capacity. Here are some tips for effectively using these tools.
||What it does
||How you save
||Moves older data out of production data stores
- Frees expensive primary disk space
|Compression and data deduplication
||Reduces amount of data stored on disk
- Redundant files eliminated
- Individual files take up less space
- Only unique data is stored
- Backups require much less disk space
||Let's you "oversubscribe" your installed disk capacity
- Avoids wasteful unused space in allocated volumes
- Pools available installed capacity so that it's used more efficiently with higher utilization rates
- Delays new disk purchases
||Moves less valuable data to cheaper, lower performance disk
- Takes less-demanding apps' data off primary storage to avoid/delay buying more tier 1 disk
- Preserves high-performance storage for apps that require it
- Reduces backups by not backing up static data as frequently
||Spreads data out across more disks
- Gets better performance out of inexpensive disks
- Avoids or delays buying expensive higher performance disk storage
This article originally appeared in Storage magazine.