Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#8: Examine system history
1. Which component has caused the most downtime historically?
- Keep availability statistics
- Publicize them when they are good
2. Examine root causes of these failures
- May be non-system cause, like poor source code control practices
- May be environmental, like power conditioning
3. Defend against them first
- Worry about lesser problems later
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.