Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#7: Build for growth & repair
1. Systems always expand to fill capacity
- Don't fill your disk arrays or buses
- Leave extra backplane and memory slots
2. Build modularity into the system
- Don't put system disks inside servers
3. The quicker the repair, the quicker the recovery
4. Decrease MTTR
"Some of the best lessons we ever learn are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom and success of the future." -- Dr. Dale E. Turner
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.