Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#6: Choose mature software
1. Avoid "dot zero" releases
- Allow products to ripen
2. Select well-supported applications
- Large installed base
- User communities or groups for "best practices"
- Reference sites
- But don't choose them blindly
3. Don't reinvent the wheel
- Browsers replace user interfaces
- Mature public domain software tools suffice
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2003 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
This was first published in January 2003