Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#6: Choose mature software
1. Avoid "dot zero" releases
- Allow products to ripen
2. Select well-supported applications
- Large installed base
- User communities or groups for "best practices"
- Reference sites
- But don't choose them blindly
3. Don't reinvent the wheel
- Browsers replace user interfaces
- Mature public domain software tools suffice
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2003 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.