Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
Here is tip #17
#17: Maintain tight security
1. Keep unnecessary users off critical systems
2. Use pseudo or similar tools to audit tasks and restrict access
3. Use firewalls
4. Enforce good password selection:
5. Use audit software to check system security
6. Change or remove default passwords
7. Delete logins and files of ex-employees when they leave:
8. Use virus checkers:
9. Review log files
10. Prohibit direct privileged logins
11. Check the web for security alerts
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
Dig Deeper on Data management tools