Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#16: Consolidate your servers
1. Consolidate servers that do the same task
2. Reduce the number of machines
3. Reduce the number of things that can fail
4. Once you have consolidated, super-bulletproof the consolidated servers
5. Go ahead, put all your eggs in one basket
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.