Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#14: Document everything
1. Leave audit trails
2. Create, maintain and use Run Books
3. Keep copies of all documentation off-line, too
- Remember paper!
4. Don't assume any knowledge to follow written procedures
- Key personnel will probably not be around
5. Review documentation regularly
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.