Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#13: Define service levels
SLA = Service Level Agreements
- Service, user community, locations, response time, uptime
- Broad prioritization
- Minimum quality of service and desired goals
- Time frame: 7x24, 5x8 or other
Must be measurable
- How to determine if goals are met
- Exception handling for user issues
- Escalation for service outages
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.