Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#13: Define service levels
SLA = Service Level Agreements
- Service, user community, locations, response time, uptime
- Broad prioritization
- Minimum quality of service and desired goals
- Time frame: 7x24, 5x8 or other
Must be measurable
- How to determine if goals are met
- Exception handling for user issues
- Escalation for service outages
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
Dig Deeper on Data management tools