Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#12: Plan ahead
1. Document all plans
- Others must be able to pick things up if someone leaves
2. No surprises for anyone
3. Buy-in from all key people
- Written, if necessary
- Helps prevent arguments when trouble ensues
4. Schedule all changes and any down time in advance
- Users have their own deadlines
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.