Our countdown, brought to you by SearchStorage.com high availability expert Evan Marcus, includes some common sense tips for the everyday storage admin to follow.
#12: Plan ahead
1. Document all plans
- Others must be able to pick things up if someone leaves
2. No surprises for anyone
3. Buy-in from all key people
- Written, if necessary
- Helps prevent arguments when trouble ensues
4. Schedule all changes and any down time in advance
- Users have their own deadlines
Looking for more great Evan Marcus information?
Check out the Evan Marcus availability tips section of SearchStorage.com.
Also, visit our bookstore for Evan's book: Blueprints for high availability: Designing resilient distributed systems.
Have your own tips for the everyday admin? Submit them here.
This material is copyright 1997-2002 by Evan Marcus and Hal L. Stern. It may not be used in whole or part for commercial purposes without the express permission of both authors.
This was first published in October 2002