Benefits of modular SRM include:
- Price: The pay-as-you-go SRM model enables your organization to solve its most critical storage management problems with immediate payback, but without the budget-busting expense of investing in a complete enterprise SRM solution. Instead, you can build a total solution piece-by-piece as budget allows and end up with an enterprise SRM package over time, if that's what's needed.
- Time-to-deploy: An organization with an urgent storage, server, backup, or application pain point can quickly get that problem resolved with a single targeted SRM module, rather than going through the evaluation, bid and budget approval and extended deployment timeframe required for a total enterprise SRM installation.
- Precision: Modular SRM enables you to deploy an SRM point solution that specifically targets your most serious storage/backup
- pain points, ensuring that the SRM deployment will actually produce the desired results.
- Modular, but not standalone: The framework of your SRM software must support a management of all deployed modules from a centralized console. At any time, if the organization chooses to add another module or launch an enterprise-wide storage/server/backup resource management initiative, the investment in the existing modules is protected as they always fit together as part of an integrated SRM software suite across the entire heterogeneous storage enterprise.
About the author: Ken Barth is president and CEO of Tek-Tools, Dallas, Texas.
This was first published in February 2005