SearchStorage.com and Storage magazine invited companies in the enterprise data storage market to nominate their products for the 2009 Products of the Year awards. For previously available products, the upgrade must have incorporated major new features that were designed to meet new or evolving needs in the marketplace.
We looked at products in five categories:
- Backup and disaster recovery hardware (tape libraries, tape drives for backup, media, disk backup arrays, virtual tape libraries, deduplication devices)
- Backup and disaster recovery software and services (backup, recovery, disaster recovery, snapshot and replication, electronic vaulting)
- Disks and disk subsystems (SAN, NAS, DAS, primary drives, disk controllers)
- Storage management tools (SRM and SAN management software, performance monitoring, file systems, volume management, virtualization software, security software)
- Storage networking equipment (switches, HBAs, NICs, virtualization appliances, security devices)
Products were judged by a panel of users, analysts, consultants and Storage magazine and SearchStorage.com editors. Judges rated the products on six criteria: innovation, performance, ease of integration into environment, ease of use and manageability, functionality and value. We then tallied each judge's ratings separately and aggregated them with those of the other judges to come up with a numerical score for each product. The numerical scores coupled with empirical data from our panel of judges produced the winners.