Editor's note: As part of our 2004 storage predictions series, President & CDS of Dragon Slayer Consulting Marc Staimer lets us know what he sees shaping up in the coming 12 months.
1. Storage array hardware pricing will continue to decline
2. Storage array software will be predominantly separated from the hardware and charged separately instead of being bundled
3. FC SAN switches pricing will continue to drop
4. 4Gbps Fibre Channel will be released before the end of 2004 on both Storage Arrays and Fibre Channel switches.
5. iSCSI will finally emerge as a viable SAN technology
6. SAN security will likely emerge as an increasing concern
7. Key storage themes in 2004 will be: "simplify, elimination of storage complexity and 'Wizard'-based storage and SANs."