CHICAGO -- Melville, N.Y.-based FalconStor Software Inc. this week introduced IPStor Version 3.5, which offers businesses expanded connectivity, advanced replication services, an SSD-based I/O accelerator and the HyperTrac backup accelerator, which enhances the speed of third-party backup and recovery solutions. The company introduced the product at the Storage Decisions 2002 conference.
Some of the key features in IPStor Version 3.5 include:
- I/O accelerator option, which utilizes high-speed disks such as solid state disk (SSD)
- HyperTrac backup accelerator, which doubles the speed of third-party backup software
- HotZone option, a policy-driven I/O performance optimizer
- SCSI target mode, which coupled with IPStor's "service enabler" technology, facilitates the integration of advanced storage services with direct-attached storage (DAS) devices and enables online, real-time migration of legacy SCSI-based disk array to Fibre Channel-based storage subsystems
- Asynchronous mirroring, for extending the distance of a mirror to remote locations
- Replication over FC and SCSI, extending the replication protocol to include local or remote-attached SCSI or FC disks by using a single IPStor for online/near-line disk-based backup and recovery.
"The next, progressive step toward storage utopia is intelligent storage networking, which involves placing the smarts for critical storage functions in the network, where the intelligence can be leveraged across all storage arrays and servers," said Michael Fisch, senior storage and networking analyst at the Clipper Group Inc., a technology acquisition consulting firm based in Wellesley, Mass.
"Both HotZone and I/O accelerator not only boost storage access speeds but also lower overall storage costs by enabling enterprises to squeeze the most performance from a given storage infrastructure. FalconStor has again distinguished itself in the intelligent storage networking market."