Kudos to EqualLogic
Clearly, users of the EqualLogic PS Series feel they've purchased something special. Time will tell if the company can continue to deliver in a top-flight manner ... but the top is always a good place to start.
Products included in the survey
The following vendors and products were included in the 2006 Diogenes Labs-Storage magazine Quality Award survey for midrange arrays:
• Apple Computer Inc. Xserve RAID**Didn't receive a sufficient number of responses to be included in the final survey results.
• BlueArc Corp. Titan 2000 Series*
• Compellent Technologies Storage Center*
• Dell Inc. CX Series
• EMC Corp. Clariion CX series
• EqualLogic Inc. PS Series
• Hewlett-Packard (HP) Co. StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA) series
• Hitachi Data Systems Corp. Thunder 9500 V Series
• IBM Corp. FAStT, DS4000 or DS6000
• LeftHand Networks Inc. SAN/iQ*
• Network Appliance Inc. FAS200 or FAS900 Series
• Pillar Data Systems Axiom 500*
• Sun Microsystems Inc./StorageTek D-series, FlexLine
• FLA200 or FLA300
• Sun StorEdge 6920
• Xiotech Corp. Magnitude 3D*
About our survey
The Diogenes Labs-Storage magazine Quality Awards are designed to identify and recognize products that have proven their quality and reliability in actual use. The results are derived from a survey of qualified Storage readers who assessed products in five main categories: sales-force competence, product features, initial product quality, product reliability and technical support. Our methodology incorporates statistically valid polling that eliminates market share as a factor. Our objective is to identify the most reliable product on the market regardless of vendor name, reputation or size. Products are rated on a 1.0-8.0 scale, where 8.0 is the most favorable score.
For this year's midrange arrays survey, 354 respondents provided 474 valid system evaluations. This year's response rate is about 10% higher than last year's, but carries the same +/- 5% margin of error with a 95% confidence factor.
Rich Castagna is Editor-in-Chief of Storage. Phil Goodwin is president of Diogenes Analytical Laboratories Inc.