By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
- Thinner cables. Serial cables are only 5/16," compared to a 1 3/4" parallel SCSI ribbon, for better air flow.
- Better connectivity. SAS calls for up to 4,000 devices per port, and 128 drives per channel. Practically speaking, it will be possible to connect hundreds of SAS drives together.
- Improved performance. First generation SAS drives will have a 3Gb connection, about the same as Ultra320 drives. But because SAS drives are connected point-to-point, there's no bandwidth contention across a shared bus.
- Dual connectors. Data travels full-duplex at 3Gb/s.
- Compatibility with SATA drives. When behind a SAS controller chip, a single disk enclosure will be able to contain both SAS and SATA drives.