By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
- Thinner cables. Serial cables are only 5/16," compared to a 1 3/4" parallel SCSI ribbon, for better air flow.
- Better connectivity. SAS calls for up to 4,000 devices per port, and 128 drives per channel. Practically speaking, it will be possible to connect hundreds of SAS drives together.
- Improved performance. First generation SAS drives will have a 3Gb connection, about the same as Ultra320 drives. But because SAS drives are connected point-to-point, there's no bandwidth contention across a shared bus.
- Dual connectors. Data travels full-duplex at 3Gb/s.
- Compatibility with SATA drives. When behind a SAS controller chip, a single disk enclosure will be able to contain both SAS and SATA drives.