Access "DR testing infrequent at best"
This article is part of the Vol. 4 No. 6 August 2005 issue of The best high-end storage arrays of 2005
The number of IT shops that have disaster recovery (DR) plans is on the rise. According a recent survey of Storage readers, 83% have some sort of DR plan. However, the number of IT shops that have tested their DR plan recently is less reassuring. Thirty percent of respondents with a plan either haven't tested it in at least a year or--worse yet--have never tested it. Within the Fortune 1000, the situation is only marginally better. According to a custom study performed for replication and DR software provider XOsoft, 44% of respondents test their DR solution only once per year. Not surprisingly, only 55% of survey takers were confident of their DR plans--the remaining 45% were either "Somewhat confident" or "Did not know." "Users don't test their DR plans unless they absolutely have to. Period," says Jeff Beallor, pres-ident of Global Data Vaulting (GDV), a secure backup and DR provider in Toronto. As part of GDV's service, the company asks clients on a quarterly basis to name the top 10 files they need to recover, and then reports on how long it took for ... Access >>>
Premium Content for Free.
Future is fuzzy for Fibre drives
Fuzzy future for Fibre drives
InfiniBand storage shipping soon
Archiving unstructured data
by Jerome Wendt
Companies must find ways to automate and simplify the process of archiving files and e-mail messages. ECM software addresses this large pool of unstructured data.
Bridging the gap
Many disaster recovery and remote backup programs rely on an efficient, cost-effective WAN. Fiber-optic network technology is often required for long-distance data transmission, but you need to know what transport is best and the related implementation issues.
DR testing infrequent at best
Have you tested your DR plan?
New tools to classify data
by Brad O'Neill
Putting data on storage systems appropriate to its value requires the ability to classify data. An emerging category of applications, Information Classification and Management apps, can index enterprise information and execute precise actions based on its content.
- Future is fuzzy for Fibre drives
Quality awards: Enterprise arrays
We present the results of the first-ever Diogenes Labs-Storage magazine Quality Awards. In the inaugural product category, enterprise arrays, see how users rated the major array vendors and which vendor came out on top.
- Migrating old files curbs disk costs
- A SAN for super sleuths
Monolithic going modular
Monolithic systems go modular
Storage for manufacturing
Manufacturing environments typically have different storage requirements than corporate apps, and have to deal with globally dispersed design teams as well as growing regulatory concerns. Here's how several prominent manufacturers have met the challenge.
- Quality awards: Enterprise arrays
Snapshot: Multiple SAN fabrics common
How big is your SAN?
Getting serious about storage resource management tools
Times have changed. Storage resource management tools--once dismissed as hype--are becoming more and more useful.
Smaller storage companies have proven that they can innovate
Storage Bin: A handful of big companies dominate much of the storage market, but some of the smaller guys have proven that they can innovate and have caught the eye of savvy storage managers.
Why Windows is storage-friendly
It's time to take Windows' storage features seriously. Two key technologies-Multipath I/O and the Volume Shadow Copy Service-demonstrate why Windows is much more storage-friendly than people think.
Wanted: Better support
by Mark Schlack
Wanted: Better support
- Snapshot: Multiple SAN fabrics common
More Premium Content Accessible For Free
Big data infrastructure and analytics are some of the hottest technology topics today, and it can sometimes seem impossible to dissect and digest all...
Mobile workers are now accessing, creating and modifying data on ultra-portable devices such as smartphones, tablets and phablets. Most companies ...
Solid-state storage is proliferating as a replacement for hard disk drives, where it offers a quick shift into the fast lane of storage processing. ...