Access "The buzz about dedupe"
This article is part of the Vol. 8 Num. 2 April 2009 issue of How to successfully deploy data replication
The storage industry is abuzz with dedupe. Approximately one-third of respondents to Storage magazine's latest survey use a dedupe product, but how easy will it be to convert the stragglers? By Rich Castagna If the storage industry had a word of the year award, it would go to "dedupe." Like with so many other IT technologies, the task is to determine if dedupe's hype or happening. For data deduplication, it seems like it might be a little of both. In our latest survey, we found that 31% of respondents currently use a deduplication product -- not bad, considering that it's still a new technology. But how easy will it be to convert the remaining 69% of non-believers? Forty-four percent are dedupe-deniers, who cite diverse reasons for their non-implementation: 30% don't use disk for backup and 29% just don't see a need. In addition, approximately one-third of the comments we received cite the cost of deduplication as a prohibitive factor. As for the great where-to-put-it debate, 50% of our dedupers chose products that do inline deduplication, 35% opted for ... Access >>>
Premium Content for Free.
Power-smart disk systems
Disk drive systems use more power than just about any other data center gear, but storage vendors are addressing this problem with a variety of technologies.
The buzz about dedupe
Approximately one-third of respondents to Storage magazine's latest survey use a dedupe product, but how easy will it be to convert stragglers?
Virtualizing servers, storage and even networks will change the face of IT and significantly impact the roles of storage professionals.
- Power-smart disk systems
Value-based data protection
There's no skimping when it comes to data protection, but tight budgets mean that storage managers will be looking for solid value in their backup products.
Data replication is great for protecting critical data and ensuring quick recoveries. Find out where you should deploy replication: in your array, network or servers.
- Value-based data protection
Data virtualization turns less into more
Less physical data living and moving over our plumbing means we can have more virtual instances of that data, which drives even more value.
Is cloud storage the return of the service provider?
by Terri McClure
Cloud storage is a service, just like what storage service providers attempted to do years ago. But the technology has evolved and this time, cloud storage is real.
Rethinking cloud storage
Cloud storage vendors might find a silver lining to the current economic cloud as companies try to cut costs. But enterprise storage shops are still wary.
- Data virtualization turns less into more
More Premium Content Accessible For Free
Big data infrastructure and analytics are some of the hottest technology topics today, and it can sometimes seem impossible to dissect and digest all...
Mobile workers are now accessing, creating and modifying data on ultra-portable devices such as smartphones, tablets and phablets. Most companies ...
Solid-state storage is proliferating as a replacement for hard disk drives, where it offers a quick shift into the fast lane of storage processing. ...