illumos is a free, open source operating system (OS).
Distinguishing features of illumos include:
- ZFS combined file system and logical volume manager for large storage volumes
- DTrace dynamic tracking framework for troubleshooting kernel and application problems
- Kernel-based virtual machine (KVM) supporting native hardware virtualization on processors with hardware virtualization extensions
- Zones, a low-overhead OS virtualization technology
- Crossbow networking virtualization technology
illumos was developed as a fork of Unix-based OpenSolaris, the open source community-built derivative of the Solaris OS. The project launched in 2010. Major contributors include technologists from Delphix, Joyent, Nexenta Systems, and Pluribus Networks.
Continue Reading About illumos
'illumos' is part of the:
View All Definitions