Randy Kerns is a partner at Evaluator Group, Boulder, Colorado, and is responsible for storage-area network and network-attached storage analysis and education, as well as company and product strategies.
Prior to joining Evaluator Group, Randy was the chief technology officer at ProStor; vice president of storage strategy and planning at Sun Microsystems; led the engineering organization in designing disk and tape systems for mainframe attachment at IBM and StorageTek; and designed disk systems for attachment to open systems and proprietary computer platforms at Fujitsu and Tandem Computers.
Randy has a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from the University of Missouri at Rolla and a master's degree in engineering computer science from the University of Colorado. He has written numerous industry articles and papers and is the author of Planning a Storage Strategy, a book that offers step-by-step guidance on how to build an information storage strategy as part of a larger business process. He most recently authored Information Archiving -- Economics and Compliance, the first book of its kind to explore in depth the archiving of digital information.
You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contributions from Randy Kerns
- A peek into the minds of vendors
- FC HBAs and FC switch pricing
- The seasonality of product announcemen
- No easy answer for storage security
- Taking a look at ATA drive options
- Do storage acquisitions work?
- No easy formula to calculate storage capacity
- SPC-1 benchmarks
- 2003 NAS predictions: NAS consolidation and TCP/IP accelerators -- Part 1
- 2003 NAS predictions: NAS consolidation and TCP/IP accelerators -- Part 2
- Sorting out the OEM SAN switch market
- Randy Kerns on measuring
- ASK THE EXPERT:
- NAS: more than just an appliance
- Don't believe everything you hear
- Accessing data on NAS
- The elusive storage solution
- Bandwidth and speed
- Tutorials and documentation
- Designing the ideal NAS device