- Storage virtualization will take center stage. Vendors will need to work together, and there will be efforts to develop standards to avoid a "virtual-chaos."
- In IP Storage, iSCSI will lead the pack in acceptance. There will be growing pains for iSCSI due to interoperability issues and complexity of security technologies. However, iSCSI will continue to grow on a steady pace due its strong fundamentals, i.e. moving storage traffic over IP networks.
- Fibre Channel security will take center stage for storage security. Expect strong standards activity followed by vendor response.
- Gigabit support will become a common yardstick for storage appliances.
- For data security, Denial of Service Attacks including viruses will become more severe, thereby requiring increasing focus on multi-layered security approaches.
This was first published in January 2002