Can you give me the top five "real" reasons for implementing a SAN in a homogeneous server environment like Microsoft...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
or Solaris or even Linux?
Do you have any case studies outside of the Fortune 500? The ones I have now are: Enterprise storage utilization, backup and recovery management savings. This con is valid too: SPOOF: single point of obvious failure.
I'll give you the top 13.
- Case 1-Increased disk utilization
- Case 2-Deferring disk procurement
- Case 3-Terabytes (TB) per administrator improvement
- Case 4-Reduce data center rack/floor space
- Case 5-Deferring tape library procurement
- Case 6-New disaster recovery (DR) capabilities
- Case 7-Online recoverability options
- Case 8-Improved data path availability
- Case 9-Reduction of general-purpose UNIX and Microsoft Windows NT servers
- Case 10-Improve LAN/WAN performance, avoid upgrades
- Case 11-Reduce/eliminate backup servers
- Case 12-Reduce/eliminate batch, backup windows
- Case 13-Storage on demand
There is a great white paper by David Merrill that can be found at: http://www.hds.com/pdf/3SAN_ROI_Wht_Ppr.pdf#. It covers the complete 29 case models of why making an investment in SAN technology is a wise investment. ROI is a very important topic especially in this economic climate. I'm sure reading this paper will help you better understand the reason SAN is such a hot topic these days. A SAN will save you money in the long run.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in our Storage Networking discussion forum.
Dig Deeper on Fibre Channel (FC) SAN
Related Q&A from Christopher Poelker
RAID can allow for better storage performance and higher availability, and there are many different RAID types. Read a comparison of RAID levels, as ...continue reading
SAN expert Chris Poelker discusses how to change the size of a LUN in a Microsoft cluster server environment.continue reading
SAN expert Chris Poelker compares connecting a SAN with wavelength cabling and dark fiber and discusses the pros and cons of each.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.