I would not be surprised if they come back with different responses given all of the different variables. Some general questions to consider in addition to those already mentioned include:
- Is this a single SAN or multiple SANs that are segmented?
- What are the performance characteristics of the servers and applications?
- How much storage needs to be accessed by the servers?
- What is the topology and allocation of ports and performance?
- What are your, or your vendor's, server-to-storage port ratios?
- What level of redundancy and availability do you need?
Dig deeper on Fibre Channel (FC) SAN
Related Q&A from Greg Schulz
Cloud storage can be less expensive from a cost-per-gigabyte perspective, but it's important not to lose sight of other benefits as a value ...continue reading
Implementing hybrid clouds for backup and DR is a good place to start to eventually leverage other uses for the cloud, says analyst Greg Schulz.continue reading
Using solid-state in the cloud can boost performance, but first be sure you look past cost per gigabyte and are aware of any constraints from ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.