What's the best way to determine what my future storage needs will be?
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
This is an inclusive process for the entire company that involves understanding the environment today and in the future. You should look at the storage utilization by each project based on its storage requirements today and tomorrow.
Today's Storage Utilization:
1. Using basic scripting and small databases or spreadsheets or even SRM software to trend storage utilization.
a. Look for areas where you can reclaim unused space
b. Put quotas in place
1. Plan new projects with an eye toward the conservative
2. Charge internal organizations based on actual usage patterns
3. Create different tiers of storage based on the end-users' requirements for the storage, including:
a. Platinum: Requires 24x7 availability, synchronous replication in case of disaster recovery. Usually reserved only for the critical applications in a company that must survive in order for the business to survive.
b. Gold: Requires 24x7 availability, but does not require synchronous replication. E-mail applications are an example.
c. Silver: Requires less than 24x7 availability, usually reserved for the lowest tier of applications within the company, such as local storage for departmental applications.
4. Look at the requirements for the data. Many new governmental requirements have been put in place that may require new retention policies to be compliant. These requirements may increase the storage needs of the company.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in one of our discussion forums.
Dig Deeper on Data management tools
Related Q&A from Brett Cooper
We are currently using an HDS9960 array and are planning to upgrade early next year to another enterprise array. We're in the process of evaluating ...continue reading
We are looking at purchasing a new storage system for our financial application, what should we be looking for? The system needs to provide very high...continue reading
Storage management expert Brett Cooper answers the question: Are there any basic guides on how a manufacturing company could manage their data better?continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.