I was wondering whether you or someone on your staff has a formal list of what are the most common tasks that a...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
storage administrator completes to get his or her job done and which are the most time consuming? Also, I am trying to determine if there is any third-party market research available, which focuses on the IT needs of storage administrators.
Thanks in advance for your help?
Common tasks for a storage administrator.
1. Storage = disk, tape, SAN, and storage software
2. Percentage after each task is approximatley timed
1. Manage current storage environment (20%)
- Resolve any storage shortages
- Alert and resolve any performance issues and notify end-users
- Insure that data is available to all applications
2. Application support (20%)
- Work with application developers to determine storage requirements
- Work with existing programmers, DBAs to optimize storage
3. Backup (15%)
- Maintain proper backup schedule
- Restore and recover data as requested
- Facilitate off-site storage of tape
4. Monitor current storage environment (15%)
- Reporting on status
5. Capacity planning (10%)
- Forecast storage growth
- Determine allocation of different storage types
6. Evaluations (10%)
- Provide input from vendor proposals
- Due diligence on new software
- Drive vendor testing
7. New installs (10%)
- Responsible for planning and execution of the storage installation
- Perform any host-level tasks need to access new storage
For third-party input, check with Gartner, IDC, Enterprise Storage Group or the Evaluator Group.
Hope this helps.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in our .HcX6azlxeJg^0@.ee83ce2!viewtype=&skip=&expand=>Administrator Central discussion forum.
Dig Deeper on Storage management jobs and salaries
Related Q&A from Brendan Reilly
Storage hardware expert Brendan Reilly offers advice on creating a centralized, mirrored backup enviornment.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.