Here are some of the tools available. You may want to use searchStorage's search engine for more detail. It really depends on what aspect of security you are trying to check.
1) Kane Security Analyst, produced by Intrusion Detection Inc., checks your Windows NT system for vulnerabilities.
2) ISS - Internet Security Systems has a suite of tools for network security testings that are available on the NT platform.
3) TCP/IP portscan - There is a shareware program called NTPortscan for scanning TCP ports.
4) NetBIOS Auditing Tool- This tool from Secure Networks Inc. will check file shares, password integrity, etc. from a remote host.
5) OmniGuard ? a series of tools from Axent for access control, intrusion detection and single sign on.
6) ScanNT is a dictionary-based password cracker that will check for weak passwords.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in our .vZOeapWAece^0@.ee83ce2!viewtype=&skip=&expand=>Administrator Central discussion forum.
This was first published in February 2002